Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Friday Review... February 18th, 2011

Happy Friday Everyone!

I hope all of you have had a great week this week.  I know for a lot of you the weather has been really nice and I have also seen the number of people out and about biking/running quadruple I think.  People had a rough case of cabin fever and needed to get the hell out of the house!  Got a few news items I saw this week, which I thought were important, so I will pass those along first and then get on with what the hell was going on with me :)

First off I wanted to put in my two cents about Lance Armstrong's second retirement (dubbed "Retirement 2.0.").  I think this is a great thing for Lance, and hopefully he will be more decisive than Brett Farve is/was in leaving his sport.  Oh I am sorry, I meant coming back.  Oh hell, I don't know what Brett is doing... I think that he just flips a coin about two weeks before the season starts ;)  Regardless of his innocence/guilt regarding the doping allegations, I think him coming back just stirred the pot again.  There will always be people who put him on that.  After looking at the year after year training regimen that he went through, I would hate to think that some, if not all of his major wins were due to performance enhancing drugs.  Also there were so many proactive things he did for pushing forward testing to fight the doping scandals. 

I feel that his comeback from retirement and wanting to bridge that with the Livestrong organization did not pan out like some people felt it was going to, or at least where I thought it was going to go.  I am sure there were some events where proceeds and donations made there way into the Livestrong program, however, from a PR and outsider's standpoint I felt that Livestrong would be labeled on everything he touched.   I heard all this hype about how a lot of his comeback was going to help promote Livestrong, and then when I watched him throughout the year I did not see much of Livestrong shown, other than his Livestrong bike he rode during his races.  I did not think that he was gonna be able to pull off another Tour de France win, however, in the same note, he loves his sport so much that I can see how hard it is for him to get away.  Kudos to you Lance, I hope that you enjoy your retirement!  Also come back and do a tri or two for fun ;)

As for me, the front end of the week went really well for me training wise, and then the wheels fell off at the end of the week.  I will get to that in another post, probably tomorrow (Monday, as it is Sunday and I am still working on the Friday Review).  School seems to be much harder and taxing (no accounting pun intended) and when I got to Thursday I started wearing down.  An average day for me without training is 6:30a - 11:00p, and that schedule includes working and studying.  Add in training and I am going 5:00a - midnight.  My Fridays I have made to have an easier schedule or have that my day off so that I can sleep in a bit, and not take a worn down body into the weekend where I need to ramp up my training due to more free time.  I will make the adjustments.  Oh and nap time is definitely coming back!  I like to take naps, but I am the kind of guy who, if he has the option to, will try to push through and just make it to the end of the night.  Naps are going to have to come back into the equation if I am to make it through August. 

I am gonna cut this one short as I once again ran this post too far past Friday ;P  I got some other stuff that I wanna talk about tomorrow anyways.  I hope that all of you had a great training weekend, and enjoyed the weather (for those of you who had great early spring weather this weekend).  I am out!

No comments: