Saturday, March 12, 2011

The (Belated) Friday Review... March 11, 2011

I hope all of you are having a great weekend so far!

I was busy as hell yesterday!  Hence the post today.  Also is was my first schedule day off from training in over 10 days, so that was pretty cool as well.  I think my legs really needed it.  Also I am liking doing the post right now because I am outside on the porch doing this in the shade when it is sunny and 65 degrees with a light breeze.  Friggin beautiful right after putting in a 2K swim at LA Fitness.  After I finish this post, drill through the new issue of Triathlete Magazine, it will be time to put in a 9-10 mile slow run.  My last long run before the Publix Georgia Half Marathon next Sunday!  Here are some race numbers that you can use to check some results after the race

My Number:  8668
Wes' Number:  10229

If any of you locals are going to be participating in the race, please post your number in the comments section so that we know you are racing, and so we can all track each other's progress to the first of many successful finishes this year!

So.... What in the heck happened this week???  I first had to go back and look at last week's post to make sure that I did not dupe anything.


-  Keegan posted his race report for IMNZ (in two parts), so if you are interested in that just click on the link.



-  Triathlete Magazine got some pics from Kona after the Tsunami hit Hawaii yesterday morning.  Albeit I am sure the pier already looks different because it is cleaned up from the race, however, the pics make it look completely different.  Also they took some photos where they shot for this year's swimsuit edition, and most of that was underwater as well.  Here is the link to the slide show.

Sally Meyerhoff (From Everyman Triathlon):  You may have heard of her if you are more into the running part of our sport.  She was a 2 time Arizona State Big School cross country champion, won the PF Chang's Rock n Roll Marathon in January and took first place at the 2011 XTERRA Trail Run World Championship Half Marathon recently.  This week she was on a bike ride and ran a stop sign.  Truck hit her.  She was killed instantly.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of this great athlete.



-  2nd Annual Abu Dhabi Triathlon:  This is a 3K/200K/20K event and has drawn a pro crowd second only to Kona (that I am aware of :) only in its second  year.  This year's hot and windy course laid a smack down on the pros over the unique distances of this event.  Here are the results of the race:

Top 5 men finishers
1. Frederik Van Lierde (BEL) 6:43:14
2. Marino Vanhoenacker (BEL) 6:43:31
3. Dirk Bockel (LUX) 6:43:42
4. Raynard Tissink (RSA) 6:43:47
5. Sylvain Sudrie (FRA) 6:45:49

Top 5 women finishers
1. Julie Dibens (GBR) 7:14:23
2. Caroline Steffen (SUI) 7:19:45
3. Catriona Morrison (GBR) 7:31:12
4. Rachel Joyce (GBR) 7:32:09
5. Angela Naeth (CAN) 7:32:34



If you want more results or information about this race, click here.

- EBay auction targeting the triathlon community for the Christchurch New Zealand earthquake relief:  Bevin and John from the IMTalk podcast (click on the link if you have not heard of them before, they are great!!!)  put together some KICK ASS auctions where all the proceeds will go to the victims of Christchurch Earthquake.  They are on EBay, and you can see the items by clicking on the picture below.  As of last night, John said that for some reason EBay took down the auctions (maybe EBay thought it was fraudulent or something, but they are working to get these auctions back up and running.  They will expire sometime this week.  Some of the items include...
  • Chrissie Wellington’s Record Breaking Shoes from Ironman Arizona
  • Craig Alexander’s race suit along with a #1 Race number (bike) from the 2010 World Championships
  • Bevan Docherty’s Jacket from the Melbourne Commonwealth Games and a Beijing Olympics singlet
  • NZ champion women’s package
  • Sam Warriner’s Helmet Rudy Project Helmet from Ironman NZ last weekend
  • Andrea Hewitt’s ITU race kit
  • Gina Crawford’s race kit from her win at Ironman Wisconsin
And much, much more!!!

PLEASE KEEP CHECKING BACK WITH THE LINK TILL THEY GET THE AUCTIONS BACK UP!  IF YOU ARE ON FACEBOOK JUST "LIKE" IMTALK AND YOU WILL GET A STATUS ON THEIR PAGE AS TO WHEN THE AUCTIONS WILL BE BACK UP.



As for my training and such, I am finishing up week 4 of my Olympic-Distance specific tri training.  I have been eyeballing the Westpoint Lake Triathlon in mid June.  that is about a month apart from Peachtree International Triathlon.  That block of training will ramp up the distance a bit while still keeping the intensity that I want for oly-distance events.  After that I don't have anything planned until the fall, where I will have gotten my mileage up to Half Iron/Iron Distance levels.  Mid August - Mid September will be my biggest block of training because not only will be right around the time I peak my training, but I also will be done with graduate school in August.  This will allow me some more time for training.

I hope all of you have a great rest of your weekend.  Now off to do some Triathlete Magazine reading for half and hour and then it is time to bang out some more miles!  C-ya!

4 comments:

Christi said...

Good luck with your run!

Wes said...

busy busy busy. I smoked you last time at West Point, didn't I? and I'm going back this year... just sayin ;-)

Andy said...

Did we both race in the same year? I think I did it in 2007. Can't remember now, need to go back and look at the race number or the shirt and find out! I don't like the small incline leading up to the finish line, just not fair!

Born To Endure said...

Wow I loved this post, it's like all the news condensed ..thanks for doing this!