Monday, July 10, 2006

Trying to find a renewed motivation (kinda like reinventing the wheel)...

Ok,

So I am going back and looking @ Friday's post, and it seems really hard to find some motivation (by the way I am heading to the gym for swimming in about 20 minutes, so do not lose faith in me yet...). I am sure some of you have had the same problem, just to your own life's tune.

I dunno! I mean I am running some stuff throuh my head right now to get me pumped, such as, "I am gunning for 1st place this year in my PTC triathlon," or "This race coming up could help me to obtain a sponsorship," or even something as simple as "I want to improve my personal PR for this race this year."

Somehow, though, this is not helping as much as I would like. I have had some revelations and epiphanies over the last few weeks about my life in general, and I have found that there are going to be some much needed changes to adapt to the life that is going on around me. From sleep, work, social life, relationships, training, family, etc... I have realized what I will expect of myself to excel in all areas of my life. With respect to my triathlon lifestyle, I have laid down what I want to accomplish, and how I want to accomplish it, but for some reason I have had a large case of apathy for the last few weeks. This has become increasingly bothersome to me.

I would say that I am accomplishing 60 percent of my weekly training goals for the past few weeks, down from about 90-95%. The really sad thing is that, it would not take too much to meet and or exceed my goals if I would just do what I have set out to do in the first place. It makes me feel like I need a coach or something (this I cannot afford right now), but a coach is not my mother, and I am not 8 years old, so it still boils down to me.

I suppose then I might need to "reinvent the wheel," with respect to my triathlon training, and find a new sense of motivation to push myself to the level that I have set forth, and beyond. I have already begun rummaging through that brain of mine to find some ideas, and I think I have found some stuff that could help. The primary one being getting my friends, family, and anyone else who cares involved in my triathlon career. Up to this point, it has pretty much been myself, with the occasional help of a few others (Thank you Jackie, Matt, Kevin, and Charlie). Other than that, it is all about me, myself, and I. I want to get people involved, whether participating, volunteering, or just a rabid fan of the sport. I feel if I can get this done, there will be a greater sense of satisfaction that the ones close to me are REALLY interested in what I am doing, rather than me a)participating by myself, b)having to remind people that I was in an event yesterday/last week/last month/etc to let them know how I did, and c)having support in this great sporting event that I have allied myself to.

I think this was more for a personal pep rally than anything, but it is something I wanted to get off of my chest, and onto "paper," so that I could really think and analyze about what I need to do in my life to be motivated, and specifically motivated for this part of my life. We shall see what happens. Well it is Sprint night, so I am heading off to the pool to crank out 8-10 100M Sprints @ race pace as my main workout. Talk to y'all later.

Murtha...

No comments: